22 August 2014

Review: Can't Look Away by Donna Cooner


Can't Look Away by Donna Cooner
Publisher: Point
Release Date: August 26, 2014
Book Format: ARC
# of Pages: 272
Synopsis: Donna Cooner establishes herself as our own Jodi Picoult in this timely tale of sisters, loss, and redemption.

Torrey Grey is famous. At least, on the internet. Thousands of people watch her popular videos on fashion and beauty. But when Torrey's sister is killed in an accident -- maybe because of Torrey and her videos -- Torrey's perfect world implodes.

Now, strangers online are bashing Torrey. And at her new school, she doesn't know who to trust. Is queen bee Blair only being sweet because of Torrey's internet infamy? What about Raylene, who is decidedly unpopular, but seems accepts Torrey for who she is? And then there's Luis, with his brooding dark eyes, whose family runs the local funeral home. Torrey finds herself drawn to Luis, and his fascinating stories about El dio de los Muertos, the Day of the Dead.

As the Day of the Dead draws near, Torrey will have to really look at her own feelings about death, and life, and everything in between. Can she learn to mourn her sister out of the public eye?

My Review:
I received Can’t Look Away by Donna Cooner from the publisher and this is my honest review.

The decision to read was ultimately because the main character was a youtube guru and I make videos for my blog on my own channel as well as watch a lot of other people who make either book videos and or beauty videos. My point is that in some ways I could connect with Torrey.

My first overall impressions of Torrey is that she was a major bitch sorry to say but it was just my opinion and I soon found out why she was that way and it is because she was a “popular”. It did not really bother me much until she was rude to Luis, he was a sweet guy from the beginning and she had no reason to treat him that way.

A part in the book that really made my heart squeeze was the scene between Torrey and Miranda when Torrey gave her the moonstone bracelet to help her sleep. It was the sweetest moment and I teared up a lot. The total opposite of these sweet sister moments were Torreys bitchy moments when she was trying to fit in with Blair and her crew. Those moments took the books rating down for me a little bit, I did not enjoy them. Pretty much all my notes about the book are me whining about how bitchy Torrey was through most of the book. 

I was very much pleased with the ending, I saw Torrey for who she truly was and I think Torrey found herself as well which is why all of us readers were able to understand her in the end as well. 

Favorite Quotes:
“I know how. I just don’t do it unless someone’s chasing me.” He grins widely, “Okay, then, I’ll chase you.” (Pg 75)



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you guys so leave as many as your heart desires =)

 
Imagination Designs