14 October 2014

Review: Icarus by Danika Stone

Icarus by Danika Stone
Publisher: Dancing Dog Productions Co.
Release Date: August 1, 2014
Book Format: Paperback
# of Pages: 232
Synopsis: Being the ‘new kid’ at school is hard, but for Tess Novak - who’s moved more times than she can remember - it’s a role she knows by heart. Transferring during senior year means yet another place she’ll eventually leave, more classmates she’ll forget.
Fate, it seems, has other plans.
From the moment Tess is introduced to honor student Drew Martinez, she is convinced she has met him before. But when? Confident and attractive, Drew is exactly the type of ‘rich kid’ Tess’s father hates, and Tess avoids. Thrown together by a class project, their tentative friendship sparks a smoldering attraction. Tess tries to keep Drew at arm’s length, but in weeks they are drawn into a scorching romance.
Fearing her father’s volatile reaction, Tess insists on keeping the relationship a secret. Meanwhile, she begins to uncover the mysterious connection which hearkens back to the half-forgotten days of her dark childhood, a past which appears to be connected to Drew. As each new puzzle piece falls into place, and the threat of discovery increases, Tess must decide whether she wants to keep living a lie, or expose the horrific events which tore Drew out of her life so many years before.


Meet The Author: (Used from Goodreads)
Danika Stone is a writer of contemporary fiction with a focus on strong female narratives. An educator, artist, and mother of three, her involvement in the Arts and New Media has spanned a decade and a half. Danika's personal experiences and numerous friendships with contemporary artists are the inspiration behind Intaglio, while her teaching and technology background founds the basis of Icarus and Ctrl Z. She is represented by Morty Mint of the Mint Literary Agency, Nelson, BC.


Ms. Stone's books are all available for purchase, both in paperback and digitally from Amazon. Resources for Intaglio, Icarus and Ctrl Z and previews for her next series, Tathagata, can be found on www.danikastone.com. You can chat with Danika at @danika_stone on twitter.
  


My Review:
*I received this book from the publisher and or author and this is my honest review.

Before getting into this book, I knew nothing about the story of Icarus. I did not even know it was anything until a friend whom I was talking to this book about told me about the story. I probably should have familiarized myself with the mythology before reading, but I was pretty much able to stay with the story even if I had no knowledge of the story of Icarus, even though the prologue and epilogue were a bit confusing.
    Icarus is the story of Tess, a teenager stuck in a abusive home with no way out. In a way she believes that she deserves this treatment which is why she stays in this situation instead of getting herself out. Soon she meets Drew a boy that will change her mind about the world in more ways than one.
    I want to start by saying it did not take me awhile to read this book because it was bad. I started reading it while I was starting my first year in college, so my life got a little hectic. The book was actually very good, and I am glad I got the opportunity to read it. I loved Tess as a main character. She stood out with her blue hair and the abuse she was taking from her dad. It was not so bad in the beginning but by the end, what he was doing was unbearable and I felt the need to cover my eyes and or cringe even though I was only reading.
    Throughout the story were flashbacks, these went back in time to when two children were roaming through an air force base on their own. Being children and just having fun. There were a ton of these throughout the book, and I have to say they were quite confusing at first but by the end of the story I understood completely.
    Tess and Drew had a complicated, but in my eyes sweet relationship. The love story in this book was not like the typical love stories, and I think that is one of the reasons why I liked this story so much. When they met Drew knew he was going to like Tess but she was not so sure. Tess did as much as she could to stay away and not fall for him. But in the end she catches herself not being able to not love him.
    One other relationship I wanted to talk about is Tess and Kyle. For awhile, I wondered if this was going to turn into a love triangle with Drew. I was kind of hoping that were the case because Kyles character was sweet to Tess too. It was unmistakable that Kyle loved Tess and I wondered how Stone was going to work with that in the story.
    Overall I believe this book deserves a solid 5 out of 5 stars. Even though I had to keep putting it down because of school work. When I was able to read it I loved every second. It was a page turner and I could not put it down. 


  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you guys so leave as many as your heart desires =)

 
Imagination Designs