02 July 2015

Author Interview: Trisha Leaver author of The Secrets We Keep



The Secrets We Keep by Trisha Leaver
Synopsis: A girl takes over her twin sister's identity in this emotionally charged page-turner about the complicated bond between sisters.

Ella and Maddy Lawton are identical twins. Ella has spent her high school years living in popular Maddy's shadows, but she has never been envious of Maddy. In fact, she's chosen the quiet, safe confines of her sketchbook over the constant battle for attention that has defined Maddy's world.

When—after a heated argument—Maddy and Ella get into a tragic accident that leaves her sister dead, Ella wakes up in the hospital surrounded by loved ones who believe she is Maddy. Feeling responsible for Maddy's death and everyone's grief, Ella makes a split-second decision to pretend to be Maddy. Soon, Ella realizes that Maddy's life was full of secrets. Caught in a web of lies, Ella is faced with two options—confess her deception or live her sister's life.

Meet Trisha, 

Trisha Leaver resides on Cape Cod with her husband, three children, and one rather excitable black lab. Her YA Horror novel CREED is coming in Fall of 2014 from Flux. Her YA Contemporary THE SECRETS WE KEEP coming in the Winter of 2015 from FSG/Macmillan





The Interview:
What are the hardest/most rewarding parts about being a writer? 

Each book I write is a little piece of me. As writers, we pour our heart and souls into our books, and then we send them out into the world for strangers to read.  In essence, I am giving each reader a tiny glimpse into my soul; a piece of me that they will either love or hate. That is the hardest part for me as a writer: sending my manuscripts…sending myself out into world for others to judge.

The most rewarding part is when a teen reader sends you an email or stops you at an event and simply says “thank you.” That somehow, in some way they connected with your book and that reading it made them feel less isolated, less like the odd man out. That is why I write…for those few kids who are touched by my books.

What advice can you give new writers just starting out? 

It only takes a spark to ignite an entire story. You don’t need to have the entire plot laid out from page one. Every thread doesn’t need to be carefully developed from the onset and every character doesn’t need to have a definitive path before you sit down to write.  Just take that one spark, play with it…explore it, let it ignite your imagination and simply start writing.  Pretty soon one paragraph will turn into one page and one page into one chapter.

What made you want to write young adult? 

There is a raw honesty in young adult literature that I absolutely adore. You can speak from the heart, let the emotions flow, and tackle sensitive subjects with a truth that isn’t wrapped up in flowery language or elongated prose.  You aren’t bound by structural constraints: you can write in verse, in journal format, in flashbacks, or in simple prose. In essence, there is a freedom to simply “create” within the young adult genre that I love.

What motivates you to sit down and write?  
My imagination. There are literally dozens of characters screaming in my head at any given moment, each demanding to be heard.  Their stories, their constant pecking at the back of my mind is what makes me sit down every day and write.

Lastly, Do any of you have street teams, or beta readers, or even just a newsletter that me or my followers can sign up to be apart of for upcoming releases? 

I do have a newsletter.  There is a sign-up link under the “contact me” section of my website: www.trishaleaver.com.  In addition, I do have Teen Arc Reading Program where I circulate ARC’s of my upcoming releases to teen readers. If any of your followers are interest in taking part in that, they can simply email me at trishamleaver@gmail.com 

Thank you so much Trisha for answering my questions! and I hope all of you enjoyed this interview!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you guys so leave as many as your heart desires =)

 
Imagination Designs