14 January 2016

Review: City of Glass by Cassandra Clare

City of Glass by Cassandra Clare 
Publisher: Margaret K. McElderry Books
Release Date: March 24, 2009
Book Format: Paperback
# of Pages: 541
Synopsis:
To save her mother's life, Clary must travel to the City of Glass, the ancestral home of the Shadowhunters - never mind that entering the city without permission is against the Law, and breaking the Law could mean death. To make things worse, she learns that Jace does not want her there, and Simon has been thrown in prison by the Shadowhunters, who are deeply suspicious of a vampire who can withstand sunlight.

As Clary uncovers more about her family's past, she finds an ally in mysterious Shadowhunter Sebastian. With Valentine mustering the full force of his power to destroy all Shadowhunters forever, their only chance to defeat him is to fight alongside their eternal enemies. But can Downworlders and Shadowhunters put aside their hatred to work together? While Jace realizes exactly how much he's willing to risk for Clary, can she harness her newfound powers to help save the Glass City - whatever the cost?

Love is a mortal sin and the secrets of the past prove deadly as Clary and Jace face down Valentine in the third installment of the New York Times bestselling series The Mortal Instruments.




My Review:
I bought this book with my own money, and this is my honest review.

A few summers ago, I dived into a really good series called, The Mortal Instruments Series. I read the first two books back then and enjoyed them quite a bit. Enough so that I ended up watching the one movie that came of the series. It being 2016 one of the challenges I am participating in is the Finish A Series challenge. As you can probably imagine I am trying to finish the Mortal Instruments series starting with book 3!

I cannot really say much considering book 3 is well, book 3 and anything I say will mostly be spoilers. But I can talk about how much I love some characters, dislike others, and love the writing of Cassandra Clare. Starting off one of the bittersweet things about this series is how the books all start off. Many authors give their readers a little recap in the beginning of each new book. Clare does not do this really at all, well she sort of does throughout the book but there really is not anything in the beginning of the book to catch readers up. This is good because if someone were to binge read the series like many do, they would not have to bore themselves with all of the details which they already knew about from just reading the series. On the other hand it is bad for people like me, who do not like to binge read series. I like to draw out reading books in series especially when I love them because I do not want them to end. But when I do this I often have hard time remembering what had happened in the book before without any clues.

In other books in this series I felt myself getting increasingly madder and madder at Jace just for his attitude and personality. I had similar issues with Clary’s attitude but Jace was worse when it came to that. In book 3 though these two grew more than I would have ever thought possible. Both of them seemed to transform into almost responsible adults right before my eyes. They no longer seemed like little kids not being able to get their feelings together. I cannot really go into more detail for obvious reasons but I just wanted to mention that fact.

Another aspect that I loved about this book is that there were multiple times during the book that I was able to happily predict what was happening in the book before it happened. Again, I cannot go into details but I wanted to mention this because while reading books, being so into the book that I am able to figure what is going to happen or put pieces together before something is revealed is my absolute favorite thing about reading books! It makes me feel as if I am really apart of the world opening up in front of me and I love it.

There were so many other things I loved about this book, and if anyone else has read it please stop by either my blog, goodreads, twitter, even youtube and chat me up about it because I would LOVE to talk to someone who has read the book and is willing to talk! Thanks for stopping by!

Favorite Quotes/Scenes

“You should leave him here. I could hang hats on him and things.” (Magnus Bane, 168)

““Your City is under attack,” he said. “The wards have broken, and the streets are full of demons. And you want to know why I haven’t called you?”” (238)

““There is no pretending,” Jace said with absolute clarity.” I love you, and I will love you until I die, and if there’s a life after that, I’ll love you then.”” (331)

““I wouldn’t change it, Simon said. “I wouldn’t give up loving you. Not for anything.”” (371)  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you guys so leave as many as your heart desires =)

 
Imagination Designs