23 May 2013

Review: Once Upon A Gypsy Moon by Michael C. Hurley

Once Upon a Gypsy Moon: An Improbable Voyage and One Man's Yearning for Redemption by Michael C. Hurley
Publisher: Center Street Publishing
Release Date: April 16, 2013
Book Format: Hardcover
Number of Pages: 262
My Rating: 4 of 5 stars
Synopsis: Michael Hurley watched his world unravel in the wake of infidelity, divorce and failure. In August 2009, he was short of money, out of a job, and seeking to salvage a life that had foundered. Deeply in need of perspective, he took to the open seas in a 32-foot sailboat, Gypsy Moon. The story of his 2-year outward odyssey, deterred by rough weather and mechanical troubles, combines keen observation, poignant thoughts, and deeper introspection with glorious prose. 

Once Upon a Gypsy Moon also presents a rare and much-needed point of view on the familiar spiritual-journey narrative. It offers a star-crossed love story wrapped inside a rollicking good sea tale, but it also has something important to say to the reader about relationships, faith and disbelief, life and death, love and marriage, and what really matters.

My Review: 
I received Once Upon A Gypsy Moon by Michael Hurley, from the publisher for my honest review.

When I was contacted to review this book at first I was not just a little, but very hesitant about reading a memoir about a mans journey in life on the sea. But me being willing to give anything at least one shot, I agreed to review it and here I am writing a heartfelt review.

In the memoir we learn about the life of the author Michael Hurley. This was interesting because it was not just him whining about getting a divorce and being alone, but it was him telling us his story in a nice way. I liked that he admitted in the book that the reason for his divorce was because he cheated, he did not put any of the blame on his wife at all which is a step in the right direction, because that what I was expecting a whole spiel about why his wife is to blame but that’s not what happened and I enjoyed that.

The writing in this book was so great. I absolutely loved the descriptions of the sea like this one, “and the ocean was what any writer would feel compelled to describe as eerily calm--eerie like a murderer’s smile.” this one line had the ability to give me the chills unlike any horror book I have read (Hurley 30). Another thing I enjoyed about this book was the author’s mention of older writers like Thoreau, Mark Twain, and F. Scott Fitzgerald. All writers who I have studied and have works that I have loved!

Some of the chapters in the book were a bit boring but that’s to be expected especially in a book about a man’s journey to sea. It did not take the rating down much no more than a star. I liked the satisfaction of learning that Hurley does fall in love again after what seemed like an endless search it was a great edition to the book.

Overall it gets 4 out of 4 stars because the things I liked greatly overwhelmed the one thing I did not like. Even if you do not read memoirs I would recommend this because it happened to be a great story.


View all my reviews


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you guys so leave as many as your heart desires =)

 
Imagination Designs