13 October 2013

Review: The Lake House by Marci Nault

The Lake House by Marci Nault
Publisher: Gallery Books
Release Date: May 7, 2013
Book Format: ARC
Number of Pages: 400
Synopsis: Achingly tender, yet filled with laughter, The Lake Housebrings to life the wide range of human emotions and the difficult journey from heartbreak to healing. 

VICTORIA ROSE. Fifty years before, a group of teenage friends promised each other never to leave their idyllic lakeside town. But the call of Hollywood and a bigger life was too strong for Victoria . . . and she alone broke that pledge. Now she has come home, intent on making peace with her demons, even if her former friends shut her out. Haunted by tragedy, she longs to find solace with her childhood sweetheart, but even this tender man may be unable to forgive and forget. 

HEATHER BREGMAN. At twenty-eight, after years as a globe-trotting columnist, she's abandoned her controlling fiance, and their glamorous city life to build one on her own terms. Lulled by a Victorian house and a gorgeous locale, she's determined to make the little community her home. But the residents, fearful of change and outsiders, will stop at nothing to sabotage her dreams of lakeside tranquility. 

As Victoria and Heather become unlikely friends, their mutual struggle to find acceptance with their neighbors and in their own hearts, and explores the chance events that shape a community and offer the opportunity to start again.

My Review: 
I received The Lake House by Marci Nault for review from the publishers and this is my honest review.

The Lake House was a breath of fresh air that I really really needed. Lately I’ve been reading crazy action packed young adult books, so to take a break and read a not so fast paced story of love and friendship was absolutely amazing and I’m glad I chose to pick this book up when I did because it is exactly what I needed.

In this novel we meet two women struggling to figure out their lives and make everything right. Do they do it? Well you’re just going to have to read to find out won’t you? First we meet an older women Victoria, who has finally come home to Nagog after a lifetime of fulfilling her dreams all over the world. But she is not met with kindness and open arms as you would expect, she’s met with coldness and is forced to face her closet full of skeletons.

Our other main character is 28 year old Heather who is a young woman, engaged to a beautiful man but she’s just not happy. So she breaks it off with her fiance Charlie and moves next door to our Victoria in the Nagog community. But she also is met with nothing other than ferocity and anger from her older neighbors. Heather has trouble dealing with this but she’s made it her mission to make her new community like her.

I totally loved every second of this book, it didn’t cease to amaze me. Every page had me either giggling or crying. I loved Naults ability to make the characters come alive, I felt like I’ve known these characters my whole life. Even though some of, well most of the other characters were cold to the main characters they had their reasons and everything was understandable.

I waited awhile before writing this review so I could get all my thoughts together so I could remember any of the things I didn’t like about the book as well as the things I loved. But all I thought of was everything I loved. There was not a single thing I could think of that I didn’t like.

A few other things I liked about the novel was first, the flashbacks. Some books like the one I finished before this book have trouble with flashbacks. They happen so quickly and you don’t realise you're in one or that one has ended. But Nault did a wonderful job with the flashbacks. You knew when you were entering one and you knew when you were leaving one, and all of them were just so beautiful.

I feel like before I end this review I need to talk about the setting, I loved reading about the beach and the little community and the town surrounding the community. It all seemed so cute and peaceful and it was just awesome! Overall the novel was breathtaking and I would not hesitate to read anything by Marci Nault in the future!



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you guys so leave as many as your heart desires =)

 
Imagination Designs