Seaweed by Elle Strauss
Synopsis: Dori Seward can’t wait to get out of Eastcove, a sleepy fishing village on the border of New Brunswick and Maine. She bides her time by hanging out with friends, attending swim club, and holding her biggest competition, Colby–who wants more than just friendship, at arm’s length.
Then Tor Riley comes to town and he has everything Dori dreams of in a boyfriend–looks, athleticism and mystery.
But Tor also has a tantalizing secret and Dori is determined to find out what it is. The truth is crazier than her wildest imaginations and more dangerous, too. Dori has new enemies, and they will do anything to get to her.
Her life, her dreams and her love for Tor are all weighing in the balance. Will Dori risk it all in order to have it all?
You can check the book out on Goodreads!
Ready for the 10 Facts? Here they are:
1. Eastcove is a fictional small town on the coast of New Brunswick Canada, just across the Bay of Frundy from Maine.
2. I visited Saint John, NB and the Bay of Fundy for the first time this spring, after Seaweed was written. I went back to the script and added details afterwards.
3. I chose the north as the setting because I wanted to do a cold water underworld.
4. I also chose the north because I'm Canadian (I'm actually a duel citizen with USA but I reside in Canada) and I like to include refrences to Canada or add Canadian characters to most of my books.
5. I like to write "otherworldliness" so it's not so strange that I went from Time Travel to the Merfolk world. (Next stop--the future!)
6. Because Dori is about the discover and "otherworld," I purposely gave her a normal-ish family. Two parents who are around, a dog and a cat, and a grandparent.
7. The dog's name is Sydney and the cat's name is Crosby. This is an intentional nod to Maritime Hockey Great Sydney Crosby.
8. SEAWEED started out as a middle grade trilogy with the title How to Date a Merboy. It morphed into a single volume YA.
9. Because of this I always assumed it was complete as a stand alone story, but many readers have requested a sequel.
10. Because of this, I'm working on an outline for a second book and I hope to release it spring/summer 2013.
I hope you enjoy the 10 facts! To see the rest of the stops on the tour click here. I think there pretty interesting I forgot to tell you there's also a giveaway! Check it out down below.