10 January 2017

Review: Supergirl at Super Hero High by Lisa Yee

Supergirl at Super Hero High by Lisa Yee
Publisher: Random House Books for Young Readers
Release Date: July 19, 2016
Book Format: Hardcover
# of Pages: 234
Synopsis: This groundbreaking new middle grade series follows DC Comics' most iconic female Super Heroes and Super-Villains . . . as highschoolers. At Super Hero High, the galaxy's most powerful teens nurture their powers and master the fundamentals of what it means to be a hero.






My Review:
  
I received Supergirl at Super Hero High from the publisher and this is my honest review.

Supergirl at Super Hero High by Lisa Yee follows a new student at Super Hero High of course. The first book in this series followed Wonder Woman who works to control her powers and becomes student of the month. With this new title she becomes responsible for new student, Supergirl which is what the second book focuses on.

I love that in the beginning of the story we get background on Kara (supergirl) before jumping into her time at Super Hero High. This happened with Wonder Woman as well which I enjoyed a lot. It makes for a more interesting read to be able to understand where our characters are coming from and what their background was before coming to her new high school.

I feel similarly to this book as I did to the last one in the way Supergirls character acted. I understand that she is young and just learning how to use her powers but some of the time she just seemed stupid and naive. Maybe it's just me, but I didn’t picture these superheroes to be so naive, I picture them being smart and in tune with whats going on around them, and I didn’t get that from Supergirl. But like I said above she is getting to know her powers, and missing her parents a lot. So maybe the slightest bit of naive would come through but not this much.

I also was disappointed that Supergirl and Wonder Woman did not have as strong of a relationship as I thought they would. At the end of the first book, and beginning of this one the Principal tells the entire school that Wonder Woman will be taking Supergirl under her wing. This leads me to believe there would be some kind of relationship, but instead Supergirl becomes close with Barbara Gordon. Not that there is anything wrong with that, I like that it builds up to the next book in the series, but I wanted to see how Wonder Woman and Supergirl were going to get along.

I did enjoy the investigation of the Boom Tubes throughout the story because I found myself being able to solve it right along with the superheroes which I love doing. With the clues given about who was trying to break in, I had a few people in my mind for awhile, but then started to catch little things that a certain someone was doing and knew exactly what was going on. Yee did a great job giving readers the tools that they needed to solve the mystery. 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you guys so leave as many as your heart desires =)

 
Imagination Designs